"Friendship is the source of the greatest pleasures and without friends even the most agreeable pursuits can become tedious." St. Thomas Aquinas

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Flickr Surfing-Free Public Domain Images to Share

I love surfing the net to see what I can find and I recently stumbled across a flickr site that offers all public domain images.  I am going to share a few that I downloaded because I thought they were interesting.  These photos depict dangerous things people did back in the late 1800's- early 1900's.  All of these photos were taken by a photographer in Australia-maybe several photographers. These are all glass plates and most are in fairly good shape considering their age.
This first photo should make you cringe in fear if you live in snow country as I do.  We have several avalanches every year and this is one waiting to happen!  Click on the photo to get a larger view and to save it if you wish-but this picture is of three men climbing over the broken edge of a snow bank up in the mountains of Australia. 
This second photo of two men cutting down a gum tree gives me goosebumps.  Why are they having to stand on these man made supports instead of just cutting the tree from ground level?  I wonder how long it took them to cut down this tree with just two axes?  Or was this staged by the photographer?  We'll probably never know, but it's a good reference for doing something dangerous.

No comments: