"Friendship is the source of the greatest pleasures and without friends even the most agreeable pursuits can become tedious." St. Thomas Aquinas

Friday, January 1, 2010

Spool Charm Bracelet-Project #2



Gather up some wire, chain, beads, tools and these wooden spools to create some truely unique jewelry. Earrings, bracelets, and necklaces can all be made using the smaller of these spools as charms. They are easy to assemble with some 18 gauge wire, a couple of beads and few twists of the wrist. Add them to a chain with a couple of jump rings. I usually create my own jump rings but I was running out of wire, so I doubled up on the jump rings, which I usually do anyway, but these were pretty flimsy rings and I sure don't want to take a chance of losing any of these charms. I added a few additional charming favorites: the silver wing, the hearts, the folk art style black beads, the ambers. Again, they correspond to my signature colors.



Here's another idea for you, if you don't have any of these wooden spools and you can't just run out to the craft store, experiment with some wine bottle corks. (No I did not drink all these bottles of wine! I actually bought this whole bag of corks at a yard sale and was saving them for another project. What that project was, I have no idea any more, but they will be used this year, so I'd better be thinking about a project for them! LOL!) I would suggest cutting them to smaller sizes, but using the printing that is on them as part of your project. I love the printing on some of these, so will try to incorporate this into a project myself. Have fun and thanks for joining me for a fun day in my studio!

2 comments:

Mary Lynn said...

Your bracelet is awesome, and I want to try using the corks as I have a bag of them also.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have never seen thread spools this small! They are adorable, as is the bracelet. I even remember that article from Somerset.

I'm going to have to ask my friends and neighbors to save wine corks, now. They save everything else, they might as well save corks. Thanks for sharing this fun project.