"Friendship is the source of the greatest pleasures and without friends even the most agreeable pursuits can become tedious." St. Thomas Aquinas

Thursday, February 22, 2007

"Abstract Sunset"

This mini quilt was made for a magazine challenge, but I never sent it in. I wasn't thrilled with the completed project. I started the project, using gradation hand-dyed fabrics, cutting them into strips with a wave rotary cutter and sewing them onto a muslin background. I appliqued the white areas, and machine embroidered other white areas to create the illusion of the sun reflecting off the water as it sets. From a distance it looks great! I'm too much of a realist I guess. Abstracts are not my thing, I struggle with them, and prefer not to make them. I challenge myself constantly, and this allowed me to move away from my comfort zone.

No comments: