Thursday, May 19, 2011
Watercolor and Digital
I decided to try my hand at watercolor painting again and on the left is the original doorway. I struggled with this but learned a lot about controlling the amount of water and having the patience to let it dry, naturally. (I do need to hunt up another hair dryer to speed up this process!) I also want to try using different brushes for better control of the paint as well. When I taught the Chinese Brushwork workshop a couple of years ago, I was amazed at the control the Chinese brushes allowed me with the inks, so I will give them a try next time. Anyway, when I removed the painters tape, one whole side of the painting tore away. I wasn't sure how to respond other than to gasp! Oh no! But the more I look at it, the more I liked it.
So-I decided to scan in the painting and see what I could do with it digitally. The new version is on the right and I have to admit, I really like the adjustments I made to this. By brightening up the colors, it really popped. Since this was just a play session, I didn't print this out, nor will it be for sale, but eventually, when I get much better at this, I hope to have prints available for purchase on another blog. I will be offering some of my digital prints for sale soon. :-D